What is that you’re selling? Most of us are offering either a product or a service; sometimes both.
But how are you describing them?
Guess what? It’s time to nail down the benefits of doing business with you.
Here’s what you need to do…
Assignment: On a piece of paper, draw two lines down the center, so that your paper is divided into thirds. On the left, make a list of all the features of your thing. Here’s an example of features for a hypothetical widget:
- Color options (Choose from your choice of 5 spectacular colors!)
- Shipping options (We ship anywhere in the world!)
- Hand-made by a special tribe in Asia (No, not a sweat shop!)
- Fits into most any brand of widget-whatchmacallits
You get the idea. Now do yours.
In the center, answer the question, “So that…?” after each feature. Here’s what I mean:
- …You get the color you want/need/desire/that fits your decor
- …No matter where you live, you can have one of these/you don’t have to get in your car to buy one
- …You get a totally high-quality item/your item is one-of-a-kind
- …You don’t need to worry about model numbers
And now on the right, answer the same question again until you drill down to an emotional benefit or motivating factor. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:
- …You feel complete/you feel unique
- …You won’t be left out/you can feel smart that you found the solution
- …You feel confident that you got the best/you feel unique
- …You can relax and spend time worrying about something else
Let’s look at this exercise again for a hypothetical service this time.
- Available 7 days a week
- We speak Spanish
- Easy payment plans available
- We guarantee our work
- …You can work with us when it’s convenient for you
- …You can work with someone who speaks your language
- …You can afford our services
- …You don’t need to worry about whether or not you’ll get you what you need
- …You don’t have to worry about fitting us into your schedule
- …You can feel confident that you’re being understood completely
- …You don’t have to worry about paying your other bills, too.
- …You can feel confident that you’re getting exactly what you want
These are really simplistic examples, but I think you get what we’re after here: the BENEFITS of doing business with you.
And even more importantly, the EMOTIONAL BENEFITS of doing business with you.
If you feel like you could use some help with this particular lesson, let’s talk. Drop me an email and let me know what challenges you’re having. I’ll get back to you right away and we’ll take it from there!